Admission of FIT Members
- The FIT Secretariat will send to any associations / institutions who would like to join FIT as a regular / associate / observer member the FIT bylaws, the application form, and all other relevant information (names of Council members, lists of committees, lists of publications, etc.), which they may wish to have. Please bear in mind that the official FIT languages are English and French. Please address all correspondence to the Secretariat in either of these languages.
- The FIT Council will examine your application file, which should consist of:
- a formal letter of application for regular / associate / observer membership of FIT,
- a copy of the prospective applicant's bylaws in the original, as well as
- a copy of the bylaws in either French or English version, and
- the completed application form (details on the applicant's membership, structure, activities, etc.) .
An application fee of USD 50.00 shall accompany submission of a formal application.
- Once an application for a regular / associate FIT member is found to be in good order, the FIT Council will vote on it, either at a Council meeting or by correspondence. If admitted, the association / institution will be considered to be a candidate regular / associate FIT member until the next Statutory Congress, and enjoy all respective rights and responsibilities (see bylaws).
Once an application for observer member is found to be in good order, the FIT Council will vote on it, either at the Council meeting or by correspondence. If admitted, the association / institution will be granted the status of observer member for a three year period. The Statutory Congress does not vote on the admission of observer member.
- The Statutory Congress, which is convened every three years, votes on the admission of each candidate member.
- For practical reasons, the FIT Council cannot handle applications for FIT membership that reach the FIT Secretariat less than 6 months prior to a Statutory Congress.
- Regular FIT members pay annual membership dues, ranging from USD 300.00 to 2,000.00 depending upon the number of members. There is a fixed annual fee for associate membership (currently USD 350.00) and for observer membership (currently USD 100.00). Associations / institutions should also consider this recurring expense when applying for FIT membership. The Statutory Congress will not be able to ratify the admission of candidate regular / associate members that have not paid their membership dues and will exclude members that have failed to pay their membership dues for two consecutive years. The candidate regular member pays a fee of USD 350.00 until their admission is ratified by the Statutory Congress.
The FIT "family" of translators' associations and institutions is always happy to welcome new members to its fold. FIT can help your association / institution to benefit from international contacts with other translators.
Please do not hesitate to contact the FIT Secretariat if you have any questions about FIT membership.